Nausea during pregnancy is nothing new. It’s that unpleasant feeling in the stomach that makes you feel like vomiting every now and then. Nausea isn’t a disease but a condition which if not attended quickly can cause stomach pain, stomach spasms, cramps, dizziness, weakness and sweating.
Because of the biology taking place during pregnancy, expectant women will often experience a nauseating feeling more than once in a day. There’re various ways you can use to reduce or completely get rid of nausea but here, we’ve scaled down for you the top 10 ways to get rid of nausea during pregnancy fast.
1. Clove Aroma Therapy
Because of its medicinal aroma and soothing properties, the clove plant has been used for treating pregnancy-related nausea as well as morning sickness. Clove not only fights nausea symptoms but it also offers an immediate remedy for stomach upsets caused by nausea.
- Drink a Glass of Clove solution – Add about one teaspoonful of clove powder to boiling water, cover it for about 10 minutes and then strain it. To make the aromatic clove solution drinkable, add one spoon of honey to it. Drink the solution and wait for the results in not more than an hour.
- Inhale the Aroma – If drinking the solution really gets into your nerves, you can try inhaling the aromatic clove. This time round, put a few drops of clove oil on a clean soft cloth, bring it near to your nose and inhale it while taking deep long breaths.
- Chew – If neither drinking nor inhaling suits you, try chewing the clove like a gum ensuring that you revolve it around the mouth before swallowing.
2. Using Ginger
Ginger fights almost every kind of illness because of its antispasmodic properties. Ginger is perhaps the most effective natural remedy for nausea especially for pregnant women. Its fast action on nausea is attributed to the digestive juices secreted as soon as it’s assimilated into the body system. These juices offsets stomach acids and other factors contributing to nausea.
- Drink Ginger Tea – Cut 2 one-inch pieces of ginger and add to boiling water. Leave it boil for about 3 minutes before letting it steep for another 3 minutes. For a good taste, add honey and drink it.
- Chew – If drinking ginger tea is not your thing, chew raw ginger sprinkled with black salt.
TIP: One of the best and quickest remedies for nausea is a mixture of lemon juice, baking soda and ginger juice. Try it and see.
3. The Cumin Spice
Cumin has long been used in the Middle East as a therapeutic drug. It’s another great home treatment for nausea for expectant mothers. It stimulates secretion of substances in the pancreas that aids in absorption and digestion hence alleviating nausea.
- Drink Cumin Tea – Add a few grains of cumin in a glass of boiling of water and let the solution steep for about 5 minutes. To avoid the unpleasant taste, add a teaspoonful of nutmeg powder to enhance the aroma.
- Eat Cumin Seeds – Just like lemon, eating cumin seeds helps you get rid of nausea very fast. Soak the seeds in lime juice overnight and on the following day, dry them on the sun. Store the seeds in air-tight container. Whenever you feel nauseated, take a �spoonful of the seeds and wash it down with tepid water. To stop nausea during pregnancy, use this remedy for two to three days.
For pregnant women, drinking or eating anything sometimes is always a struggle and that’s why inhaling peppermint aroma can be a great option of treating extreme nausea during pregnancy.
- Inhale the Peppermint Aroma – Dab a few drops of the soothing peppermint oil on a cotton swab, bring the peppermint-soaked swab closer to your nose and inhale the citric fragrance for about 3 minutes.
- Apply the Peppermint Oil on Your Gums – Apply peppermint oil on the gums in your mouth and inhale the antispasmodic peppermint candy.
5. Drinking Rice Water
This isn’t scientifically proven but mothers who have tried it say it works.
Boil some rice for about 20 minutes and then strain the liquid. Drink the water (rice water) that is left behind after straining the rice out of it. Rice water has a nasty taste and so you may have to add a teaspoonful of honey to add flavor.
This is a form of pressure therapy that helps in treating extreme nausea during pregnancy. This method works best during the morning hours when your nerves and muscles are still relaxed. This method is used in hospitals to relieve nausea after surgery.
Start this process by locating the acupressure point. It’s normally about 2 to 3 fingers width below the crease in your wrist. This place is the spot lying between two large tendons in your hand. Once you’ve located this point, massage for about five minutes to relieve the nauseating feeling.
7. Deep Breathing
Since nausea has some links with anxiety and stress, something which is very common among pregnant women. Some remedies for anxiety like deep breathing can get rid of nausea fast. Fresh air in your blood stimulates release of endorphins-the feel-good neurotransmitters which aids in alleviating anxiety and stress.
Close your eyes and take in slow and controlled breaths to control your heart and mind. Exhale the inhaled air through your mouth. Repeat this process for about 5 minutes for effective results.
8. Drink Herbal Mint Tea
Mint leaves have been serving as an immediate home remedy for nausea for expectant mothers for quite some time. Just like many other herbal teas, mint tea is antispasmodic and this is the reason why it is used in relieving cramps and any muscular pains in the abdominal area.
Take around three to four dried mint leaves, put them in a cup and pour hot boiling water over them. Let it steep for about 10 minutes before straining the solution to get your mint tea. Add honey or a teaspoon of cardamom seed powder and drink your mint tea then wait for an hour for the full effect to take place.
9. Eat Well
This is one of the obvious remedies for nausea during pregnancy. For the days you’re nauseated, eat applesauce, rice, toast and bananas. Also, include plenty of water, clear liquids and herbal teas in your diet. Stick to these foods until the nauseating feeling passes. Pregnant women who feel nauseated in the morning should try to ingest salt crackers before going to bed.
10. Get Enough Rest
Whenever you feel nauseated, lie down with your feet elevated, close your eyes and relax for five minutes. The feeling should get away or at least reduce. Choose to do this in a quiet room where there is no odor.
Important Health Tips That Keeps Nausea At Bay
- Don’t include caffeine in your diet
- Perform regular exercises
- Eat meals at room temperature
- Avoid strong odors
- Avoid spicy or very hot food
- Don’t drink any fluid when taking your meals
- Suck on candies while travelling to work or school
Apply the above 10 ways to get rid of nausea during pregnancy fast. If the nausea can’t get away after trying some of these methods for a week, seek medical advice.