Phlegm is a condition that often accompanies cold and other upper respiratory infections. As it may not be referred as a serious health problem, if you don’t receive a timely treatment, phlegm can irritate and clog the bronchial. This can result to a secondary upper respiratory infection.
Phylegm is usually characterized by the presence of a constant cough, a constant need for throat clearing, difficulty in breathing, feeling week, runny nose and in some cases, fever. Dealing with phlegm can sometimes be incredibly frustrating and seemly never ending. But there are some natural remedies that can help you get rid of phlegm in chest fast.
Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial in nature. Its antibacterial property assists in fighting the bacteria responsible for causing phlegm in the body. What it does is, it reduces their number by fighting and killing them. In addition, turmeric will also improve your immune system. There are various ways you can use turmeric:
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of hot milk and drink it.
- Add a pinch of salt into a glass of hot water, add a tablespoon of turmeric and use the mixture to gargle several times a day.
- Put a one-half teaspoon of turmeric into a glass of water and swallow. Do this twice or thrice a day.
Ginger has been used for many years as an effective natural remedy to clear upper respiratory problems and throat infections. It is a natural decongestant. The antibacterial, antiviral and expectorant properties that ginger has can help you get rid of constant phlegm in chest.
- Add a tablespoon of ginger slices in a cup of boiled water.
- Steep for some few minutes, and then add two tablespoons of honey.
- Drink the solution several times during the day.
Alternatively, you can chew some slices of raw ginger several times during the day.
Lemon is an excellent ingredient for curing nasal and throat infections. Lemon has plenty of vitamin C that raises the body’s resistance to infections. It is also said to have some antibacterial properties.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey into a glass of warm water.
- Drink it and repeat this two to three times a day.
- Put some pepper and salt over one-half lemon.
- Suck the juice out into your mouth.
For better results do it three times a day.
4. Salt Water
Another way to effectively treat phlegm is gargling with warm salt water. While warm water has a soothing effect on a throat that is irritated, salts help in destroying the bacteria the infection hence reducing production of phlegm.
- Use warm water to mix one-fourth teaspoon of salt in a glass.
- Use the solution to gargle.
Repeat this remedy several times during the day.
This is the best and the easiest way one can use to get rid of constant phlegm in chest. It is an old remedy that has been carried out through our ancestors to us. Once you inhale steam through your nasal passage, the phlegm present in your track stays in liquid form. This will make it easier for you to throw it out of your body.
- Take a bowel that is full of steaming water.
- Take a towel and then cover your head with it while keeping your nose above the bowl.
- Inhale the steam for 10 minutes.
You can use this simple remedy severally during the day.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus is used widely to treat nasal congestion. It’s soothing and strong aroma can work wonders for your throat infection. It slowly melts down the phlegm congestion in the chest.
- Add some few drops of eucalyptus oil into boiling water.
- Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam.
Alternatively, you can apply eucalyptus oil around your nasal cavity, chest, and neck.
7. Chicken Soap
Enjoying chicken soup also works wonders when it comes to clearing phlegm. Actually, it works by keeping the airway moist and reducing phlegm consistency. It is an excellent remedy for an irritated throat.
All that you have to do is to prepare simply some chicken soup and have it at least thrice per day. To make the soup even more effective, you can add ginger and garlic. Try to have homemade soup and avoid canned soup which has been added to some preservative.
Thanks to antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties available in honey, it can be very effective against viral, bacterial and fungal infections. It can help by soothing your infected respiratory track and assists in eliminating phlegm out of your system. Indeed, an excellent home remedy that you can always opt for. It has some antiseptic properties that can boost your immunization.
- Take a tablespoon of honey and add some black pepper and drink the mixture.
- Have the mixture two times per day.
Carrot is widely known to be rich in vitamin C and some various antioxidants. It can be an excellent remedy for getting rid of phlegm once and for all. It provides a solution for the cough symptoms.
- Take the juice from 4 or 5 carrots.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the juice and mix.
Have this incredible juice throughout the day and with no doubt; you will feel better.
Onions have a substance that is known as quercetin that has the ability to dissolve quickly in mucus. This makes onion an excellent remedy for chest congestion. Thanks to its antimicrobial properties, onions will keep mucus from building into the chest. All that you are required to do is simply get about six small onions and use sugar to chew them. It is advisable that you do this every day before you go to bed.
Some Additional Tips
- Stay away from alcohol and smoking until you get better.
- Always do a regular cleaning to your room so that you can avoid dust and bacteria.
- Be sure always to rinse your nose to clear the mucus through neti pot, saline sprays, and gargling.
- Limit any exposure to respiratory irritants that may bring you some respiratory problems.