Asthma is a chronic condition that affects the lungs and results to difficulty in breathing. Asthma attacks happen when the passage of air to the lungs is obstructed. Asthma is usually triggered by respiratory infections, allergies, impurities in the air we breathe, certain foods and medications as well as weather conditions among other factors.
Some of the common signs pointing to asthmatic condition include wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and breath shortness. There are more than a few medical and home remedies for asthma. Read on for some simple, yet effective ways to get rid of asthma naturally.
Honey is among the most trusted natural remedies for asthma. Honey has alcohol as well as ethereal oils, which are essential oils for asthma treatment.
- In some mild cases, breathing in honey’s smell can result into positive results in a bid to manage asthma symptoms.
- Mixing a teaspoonful of honey with a cup of hot water, then drinking it slowly thrice a day would also keep asthma attacks at bay.
Garlic is an important remedy that can actually help avoid constrictions in the lungs at the beginning stages of asthma.
- Boil about three sizeable cloves of garlic in a quarter cup milk.
- Let it cool and consume it at room temperature.
Most asthmatic people have a deficiency of vitamin C. lemons are a rich source of this vitamin and a natural antioxidant that can assist in lessening asthma symptoms.
Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a glassful of water. Put some sugar to taste. Regular drinking of lemon juice greatly reduces susceptibility to asthma attacks.
Papayas, oranges, strawberries and blueberries are also a good source of the nutrients needed by the body to fight asthmatic symptoms.
NB: Shun the use of bottled lemon juice. Furthermore, desist from citrus fruits when asthma attacks occur if their use is making the condition worse.
Ginger is known far and wide as one of the best natural remedies for asthma and other ailments. Consistent research results have confirmed that ginger can help minimize inflammation of the airway as well as prevent contraction of the airway. Additionally, research indicates that ginger has ingredients that yield the same muscle relaxant benefits as with some asthma prescription medication.
- Eating raw ginger together with salt can give you the benefits.
- Alternatively, mix the same amounts of honey, pomegranate juice and ginger juice. Take a tablespoon of the concoction two to three times every day.
Regular coffee has caffeine that can assist in controlling asthma attacks as it is a good bronchodilator. Taking hot coffee helps in relaxation and clears the respiratory system to make your breathing easier. A stronger coffee would yield better results.
6. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is one of the essential oils for asthma that actually works. If a person has as asthma attack, mustard oil can be used to massage the person and this helps clear the respiratory tract and bring back normal breathing.
- Take some mustard oil and heat with a pinch of camphor.
- When the mixture is comfortably warm, transfer the contents into a bowl. Rub it gently onto the chest as well as the upper back and massage.
- Repeat the procedure several times per day till the signs go away.
7. Carom seeds
Carom seeds are another essential oil for asthma. Also variously known as ajwain and Bishop’s weed, it is effective in treating mild asthma as it has properties to dilate the lungs’ bronchial tubes.
- Boil a teaspoonful carom seeds in some water. Proceed to inhale steam until you feel better. Additionally, the carom seeds water that you have boiled can be drank.
- Another way you can use carom seeds to lessen asthmatic symptoms is by wrapping a handful carom seeds using a cotton cloth and heating them in microwave for several seconds. When comfortably hot, place the wrapped carom seeds on your chest as well as neck till it cools down. This can be repeated until satisfactory results are achieved.
8. Eucalyptus oil
The effectiveness of pure eucalyptus oil in treating asthma symptoms makes it one of the most sought after essential oils for asthma. It is a strong decongestant with researchers saying that the eucalyptol element in eucalyptus oil can help disintegrate the mucus that constricts along the air passage ways.
- Simply put some eucalyptus oil drops on a paper towel. Keep the paper towel by your head as you sleep so you can inhale the aroma.
- Alternatively, add some eucalyptus oil to a bowl with boiling water. Inhale the steam. For more impressive results, try taking deep breaths of the steam.
Figs have striking properties that hence respiratory health and help relieve breathing problems.
- Wash 3 dried figs. Immerse them in a glass of water and leave them to soak overnight.
- On an empty stomach when you wake up in the morning, consume the soaked figs and swallow the fig water. You can repeat this home treatment procedure for several months.
Onions possess anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful in minimizing contraction of airways if someone is asthmatic. Additionally, the sulfur element in onions helps decrease lung inflammation.
A patient can clear the airways by consuming raw onions in order to reduce or end wheezing and breathing better. When eating raw onions is not bearable, cooked ones can as well suffice.
Safety Tips For Using Essential Oils For Asthma
As you think through the various types of home remedies for asthma, it’s imperative that you carefully balance your yearning to breathe normally with the probable risks of the medical remedy. The use of essential oils for asthma calls for safety and precautionary measures. If a person suffering from asthma is exposed to strong odors, this can trigger asthma symptoms or even asthma attacks. As such, you need to tread with care so that the smell of the essential oil you’re intending to use to get rid of asthma naturally doesn’t cause havoc instead of yielding the perceived benefits. It is advisable that therapeutic grade essential oils as they’re safe to use for all.