Do you find yourself constantly having to clear your throat every five minutes and do you get this lump in your throat when talking to people and your voice crackles? Well, chances are that you are suffering from a condition known as post nasal drip. This condition creates a dripping sensation at the back of the throat and as a result, mucus begins to accumulate there. It is very important to stop post nasal drip early since it can lead to bad breath if left untreated.
Its symptoms include nasal congestion and irritation, over production of nasal mucus, post nasal drip bad breath, sneezing, severe coughing especially at night, post nasal drip sore throat, mucus buildup, facial pain caused by sinuses becoming plugged etc. This condition is brought about by factors such as allergens, poor hydration, and cold air, abnormalities of the sinuses, sinus infections, environmental conditions, diuretics, acid reflux and certain medications. For post nasal drip sufferers, learning to cope with the condition can be a daunting task. In view of this, this article provides post nasal drip remedy tips that are designed to provide the much needed relief to post nasal drip sufferers.
1. Eliminate Allergens
One should avoid allergens such as dust, chemicals, grass, pollen, smoke, mold, cat and dog dander, dust mites and certain foods such as eggs, gluten, wheat peanuts and dairy in order to avoid triggering allergic conditions. Dust and other allergens worsen your sinus and contribute to the production of excess mucus.
2. Blowing Your Nose
Form a habit of blowing your nose often. This gets rid of mucus that is in the nose. Avoid inserting tissue or cotton swabs inside the nose as they can damage the tissues.
3. Nasal Irrigation
Do nasal irrigation by flushing with salt water solution using an aspirator. This helps to clear that mucus clogged feeling together with the post nasal drip bad breath that accompanies it. Mix a half teaspoon of salt with eight ounces of water. At first, it might be uncomfortable but with time it will get easier. Alternatively, lean your head to the side and allow the salt water to run through your nose until it comes out the other side. Ensure to blow your nose in order to clear out excess salt water then switch sides and repeat the procedure.
4. Salt Water Gargle
Frequently gargle with salt water to experience relief. Doing this helps to clear any problem with the throat and voice box caused by excessive mucus.
5. Eliminate Food Irritants
Do away with food additives such as chili, spices and curry. In addition, avoid foods that create mucus like dairy products since lactose found in milk is also said to feed the bacteria and mold in our throat fuelling bacteria growth. Also, limit the amount of sugar intake as it creates mucus build up. On the other hand, increase your intake of vitamin C by consuming foods such as pineapples, oranges, cauliflower and broccoli. You can also add radish and garlic to your daily diet.
6. Stay Hydrated
Drink lots of fluids and avoid stress. Warm lemon water or herbal tea with lemon can help the nasal drainage go down which works better than clearing the throat. This is because the acid in lemon breaks down mucus in your throat. Drink this first thing in the morning and continue to sip throughout the day. On the other hand, stress causes overproduction of mucus in the nasal lining therefore relaxing can stop this from happening.
7. Do Sinus Relief Massage
In order to do this, you need to ensure that your hands are at room temperature. Starting from the center of your forehead, move your fingertips in circular movements as you proceed towards your temples. As you move closer to the ridge of your nose, use the same massage technique across your cheeks and on your jaw line.
8. Use A Humidifier
Your sinuses do not produce a lot of mucus when you are in a warm environment. So, get a humidifier and form the habit of breathing through your nose to clear your passageway.
9. Inhale Steam
Regularly inhale steam in order to thin the mucus and avoid congestion.
10. Take Medication
Allergy medication such as antihistamine, steroids, decongestant sprays and oral decongestants can be used to treat this condition. In addition, medication for controlling gastric acid production can also be of help.
Other Useful Tips To Stop Post Nasal Drip:
- Do not consider surgery unless it is the last resort in the treatment of post nasal drip.
- Try to avoid allergens by following these simple tips: install air humidifiers and purifiers in the house, use synthetic or cotton materials in bedding and pillows, remove house plants, wear a pollen mask when clearing the compound or mowing the grass, clean your pets regularly and close the windows when pollens abound.
- Do go to swimming pools that use salt water system as opposed to chlorine to prevent sinus drainage.
- Do consult your doctor in case your nasal drip symptoms do not improve in a couple of days or other symptoms emerge, as there might be something more serious causing your post nasal drip. In case you are on birth control pills, it’s recommended that you see your gynecologist since post nasal drip can be caused by too much estrogen being produced in the body.
- Always try to avoid over the counter medicine as much as possible because they can cause side effects such as high blood pressure. The affected party should try natural ways to lessen the symptoms and obtain relief.
- Do take a vitamin C supplement before bedtime.
- Always stay hydrated. Drink at least 16 ounces of water daily. This will prevent the mucus from getting thick, making it easier for you to remove it easily.
- Determine the foods and substances that you are allergic to. In case you suspect that you are allergic to a particular food, do away with it for a month and see whether there will be any improvement.
- Make sure to change all heating unit filters and air conditioning on a monthly basis.
- Do eliminate Candida which is a root factor to post nasal drip syndrome by eating natural, organic whole foods.
- Do wash all bedding in hot water once a week.